Burned by Ubuntu?



If you were involved in the IT community in general, or even a serious internet addict, chances are high that you've heard of Ubuntu Linux. If you've heard of it, then chances are good that you also consider installing the operating system, and playing around with it a bit.

If you install it, say, 2-3 years, chances are, things do not work properly. I mean, things that "just works" in the good ole 'XP, failed completely. You then what he could to get rid of him, and promised that he would never have worked with Linux ever again.

would like to know, as I had similar problems the first time I ventured into the land of Linux. Here is my dim memory of that moment.

I do not remember the first time I heard of Ubuntu. I only remember a few things about my experience installing for the first time:

    installed it pretty quickly. I could never get my wireless card to work properly. have forced me to fix things via the command line I messed around with "sudo this" and "sudo that" without success. ended up himself to reformat my entire hard drive to get rid of it.

Fast forward two years. Ubuntu is the only OS on my machine. Wireless works perfectly, as does printing and many other features that are available for my laptop. In fact, most of all I installed it works well. I never even look at the command prompt if you do not want.

What's changed? So, to improve Ubuntu, and drastically, I might add. All of stability, usability, and the windows drivers are approaching the level of compliance. In many areas, Ubuntu has surpassed Windows, a special performance.

If you feel like giving it another try, I can guarantee that you will not have the same problems with it that did not last time? Why? Well, for one, Ubuntu has added a Windows based installer recent distribution that allows you to install and remove Ubuntu like a standard Windows application. No more accidents in which GRUB erases all record of your NTFS partition, and Vista makes it inaccessible. What is the name of this wonderful program:. Wubi

How am I so sure that it is easy to use? It took me 15 minutes to get my dual boot PC friend the other night. It has installed Ubuntu as a single file. Also by default on Windows boot, as opposed to Grub, which usually defaults to the latest kernel, and put XP after 3 or 4 other kernel choices.

in minute number 30, my friend was running Linux versions of their favorite programs, such as the handbrake and courage. He even found the latest version for your needs KDEnlive video editiranje.Jedino question that we had addressed itself to the next boot. His wireless card is not working. Ubuntu found the driver, and installed on reboot. Happy day. No command line (except for commands I've learned, and wanted to publish, instead of going through the graphical menu), and zero additional configuration.

Look, it's a tough choice to try something again after being burned. I suggest to you, however. If you can find the courage to try Ubuntu again, you have a pleasant surprise awaits you:. It comes in three flavors, based on the window manager of choice

    Ubuntu - GNOME Kubuntu - KDE Xubuntu - XCFE

I'll go ahead and say that 98% of you, vanilla Ubuntu is the way to go. All the bells and whistles are thoroughly tested and integrated to work with Gnome.Oku candy is great, and it just feels very uglađen.Jedini downside is that the requirements for all but the very oldest machines can be a bit too much.

2% of you May want to run something other than GNOME-based Ubuntu, 99% from 2% do not want to run KDE. On the plus side, it feels a little more like the Windows operating system. Apart from the fact that it is not nearly as user friendly as a regular Ubuntu. There are some KDE diehards out there, but I'm not one of them. I have a lot more to say about KDE as window manager.

If you have an older machine, XCFE is lightning fast. It takes up relatively little RAM, a great compromise, and for most things pretty well. If you do not need a lot of extra graphical polish. (Read: minimal), then Xubuntu might be a way to go

Now, I will really confuse you. How? Well, if you really like the sleek looking Linux to install, with all the support Ubuntu, and all the flair of a professional graphic designer, and then you want Linux Mint. It is based on Ubuntu, and customized versions of the programs that are altered to fit Mint distribution. They can be several months behind the latest Ubuntu distribution, but there is no doubt that a great distro.

So, now that I'm through gushing, why not try downloading it, burning it to disc, and given one through the use Wubi. Oh, and if you have problems with sound or wireless cards using a Live CD, do not be so sure that you have this problem when you do not complete the installation. 9 times out of 10, these problems are fixed in the full installation.

So go get your favorite Pocket Protector, strap on safety goggles, and a nap. It will be almost painless and totally worth it. You can find additional information you need to Ubuntu.com.

I'm off download the podcast, and get a cup of coffee. For the record, the coffee I was burned once or twice, but that has not stopped me from drinking a pot or two weeks.

0 comments: