Will Ubuntu Unity Be the End or the Start of a New Ubuntu?


sizcache = "0" sizset = "47">

If you have installed or upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04, the first thing you would have noticed that Gnome has gone and replaced by Ubuntu Unity. Did you feel cheated? Did you like it better than Gnome? Do you think that the end of Ubuntu success stories or start a new Ubuntu Glory? In this article, I will try to throw light on this and leave the decision up to you.

At first before I start, I want to be fair to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has made ​​Linux Desktop in the past few years, more than any other distro out there. In fact, no Ubuntu, I might have managed to switch to Linux. He always had a great interface and ease of use that I never saw him be matched any other distro. Another thing that has always contributed to the popularity of Ubuntu is its Hardware Drivers compatibility. Furthermore, Ubuntu is all the hard work of decency, including the driver is ready for its users at the click of a mouse. I do not think giving them a chance at the first turn they do is kind of unfair, but in the end users will look at their needs before looking at what Ubuntu has them, and offered.

When I started Ubuntu Natty narwhal for the first time, I was shocked at the amount of change in the interface was. It took me about two weeks to be used where there is everything. Furthermore, the new Unity interface is less reliable and there are many more failures than Ubuntu Gnome interface earlier. Below are a few things I believe Gnome is better than unity and hope Ubuntu will fix them in the near future.

return from sleep or hibernation still has a chance, where the mouse disappears, or the Unity GUI is not working as it should, and you get to use Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to restart the GUI before you can make use of their meeting. I am glad that we in the Linux GUI again without havin to restart a full OS, unlike other OS out there. This bug to be honest it was the most annoying one to me.The next bad bug was not able to use the update manager, where the following error comes up "Ubuntu Update Manager 11.04 You can not run a package of information.". Fortunately, I quickly found a solution on: Could not initialize the package information article. At least this was resolved quickly, but I'm hoping Ubuntu look into these things a little more careful in the future as they have always done.

Another limitation is that I feel the interface is much more customizable than Gnome with the new unity. It is a little more work to access servers and tools, remote connection tools, among other things with the unity of the interface than before Gnome interface that uses the latest Ubuntu. Further to the new Unity have the ability to switch between different Windows managers as is the case with Ubuntu before Natty narwhal. This means that if you do not like Unity, you will need to use another distro. I believe that this is a very risky decision for Ubuntu, like many people who are not like the new unity by switching to other distros, and Ubuntu will be a great team effort to get these people to return and gain their trust all over again.

I hope that Ubuntu is to improve the company's new Unity interface quickly enough to achieve your goals on it. I believe Ubuntu team did not take a blind decision moves to unity, but probably are preparing for another surprise that will cause multiple transmissions on Ubuntu than it will lose the next release. What should my hopes high as Ubuntu got popular doing things differently in the first place, I work second shift in the fast compared to other distros directions that could pave the way for other distros to follow your instructions in the future. Only time will tell.

0 comments: